When purchasing a domain from Netfirms, they advertise that they offer a 30-day money back guarantee. When looking to exercis...展開
e a money back option, Netfirms states that it is only offered for hosting. Even though the ad runs prominently on the domain checkout (with not link to click on or disclaimers present). I have a screenshot of the checkout page but cannot figure out how to upload it here. Below is the chat from Netfirms. I should have read these reviews before purchasing as I would have seen their lack of support. I want to emphasize while you read the chat, that the checkout screen for DOMAIN PURCHASES offers the money-back guarantee and there is no mention of only-domain hosting. Federal Trading Commission states that "Under the law, claims in advertisements must be truthful, cannot be DECEPTIVE OR UNFAIR, and must be evidence-based."
Me: I was offered a 30 day money back guarantee on the website. I want to exercise that on a few of my domains that I registered.
• Justin joined
• Justin: Hi. Welcome to Chat Support!
• Me: Hi
• Justin: The 30 day money back guarantee is applicable only for the hosting. It is not applicable for the domains
Once the domain is registered or renewed, you cannot cancel it. It will be valid till its expiration
• Me: That is a misleading ad.
I'm on the page at domain checkout and at the top of the screen it clearly says "Satisfaction Guaranteed Netfirms offers a 30-day money-back guarantee."
On the domain checkout page.
• Justin: I'm sorry, it is only for the hosting.
• Me: Is Netfirms US based?
• Justin: Yes, we are US based
• Me: What is the government agency that regulates advertising for consumer protection?
Found it. FTC. On their website the first line states " Under the law, claims in advertisements must be truthful, cannot be deceptive or unfair, and must be evidence-based."
• Justin: Click on 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee to get the information
It will show the exact information: https://www.netfirms.com/popups/ip_pop_features.bml?type=mbg
• Me: There is no clickable link on the checkout page.
• Justin: You can check our TOS of domain registration here: https://www.netfirms.com/legal/legal-domain.html
• Me: That's not clear and identifiable from the checkout page. Consumers go to purchase a domain and are exposed to a prominent badge and statement that says there is a 30 day money back guarantee. It does not state that first one should navigate the rest of the website to find a TOS on an entirely different page.
• Justin: I'm in the checkout page and there is no such advertisements for the domains
It is for the hosting plan
• Me: It does not state that.
• Justin: Alright, you can contact email@example.com for more information